23 April 2018 – Everyone is talking about the Comey memos and I think I’m about over it BUT I have been curious about how Congress and the Justice Department both run investigations in parallel without pulling a Nunes or embarrassingly dropping a Gowdy on the floor. David Waldman (@KagroX), who is a lawyer, Congressional procedure expert and the master of all that is Kagro in the Morning, is on the show to walk us through why it is such a mess right now, how it is supposed to be done and, in Extra Mad, he gets into something I had never heard of, inherent contempt. Between March of 2007 and April of 2008 David wrote a number of explainer diaries at Daily Kos so I have included the links here:
- Dusting Off Inherent Contempt
- Does Your Delegation Know What Inherent Contempt Is?
- Brush-up on Contempt of Congress
- Is Inherent Contempt Pardonable?
- Contempt of Congress vs the Pardon Power
- Another View on Censure and Contempt
- Legislative Branch Victory Over Executive!
At the top of the show, Hopping Mad #99, we take a quick look back at how we got started and then Will continues his Big Ideas of Democracy series talking about just war theory. In my block I begin my own multi-show series, this one focusing on framing MMT.
Many, many carrots! – Arliss